S. P. Hilling

Officially opened 6th September 1980. This hall was extensively renovated through the generosity of villagers, friends and grants from various organisations.

The story behind this simple inscription on a brass plate inside Warton Village Hall is one of hard work and dedication by a number of Warton village residents to restore to working condition a very dilapidated old building.

Marked on an 1846 Tithe map of Warton is a Malt House. It is sited on Back Lane. This lane itself was very important both as a cattle route through to the pastures behind the Village and as a way to Senset Well. It was also used by parishioners as a way to Warton Church.

Shortly after the 1914-18 war the residents of Warton village purchased the Malt Kiln for £300, and renamed it “The Parish Room”. These rooms were their only village meeting place until 1937 when a hall was built next to St. Oswald’s Church. Unfortunately, meetings and business shifted to the more modern Church Hall and the Parish Room fell on bad days.

From 1952-1970 Lancashire County Council leased it during the week as a dining room for the old Archbishop Hutton School until this too was cancelled because of the new school being built. Its main source of income was withdrawn, it was poverty stricken and without deeds.

In August 1970 the committee of the Parish Room appointed Miss A Morley, Miss B. Smalley and Miss M Newman to act as their trustees. In 1973 a solicitor was engaged to search for the deeds, without success and they were replaced in February 1975 by a Declaration. The building was then Statutory Declaration. The building was then registered as a charity under the name ‘Warton Village Hall’.

At the start £1000 was given by the Harold Bridge’s Trust and the work began, under the guiding hand of the trustees and with helpful advice from the Community Council of Lancashire, to transform and extend and to raise money to meet the cost. This, at approximately £44,000, would no doubt have horrified the original purchasers of the Malt Kiln.

Well wishers quickly gathered round the committee, and under the guidance of. Misses Morley and Smalley, worked with enthusiasm to raise money for the ambitious improvement scheme. In February of 1977, after many coffee evenings, jumble sales, dances, a weekly draw and a hundred club, the sum raised was approaching £1,500. By April 1977, with the addition of a £3000 interest free loan, they were able to submit to the Community Council an application for a 75% grant for the year 1978-9, confident that by the time the villagers proportion of 25% was due, the money would be raised.

The grant was received, but the lowest tender for building alone was £45,000. By severe cuts and hard bargaining this was reduced to £35,000. Work began in October 1978 and was completed by August 1979. Another £12,000 was needed to pay the architect’s fees, and to supply furnishing and equipment for the hall. The Lancaster District Council most generously donated £4,000 and £5,000 from their lottery fund. An interest free scheme was launched which produced over £1, 000 and the “Friends of Warton Village Hall” transferred £5,000 to the management’s account. The contractor and architect were paid and Warton Village Hall started life free from debt.

The official re-opening took place on Saturday 6th September 1980 and was performed by the then Lord Mayor of Lancaster Cllr. Abbot Bryning accompanied by the Mayoress. The event was followed by a weekend exhibition of Country Crafts.

Today the Village Hall is host to many activities. Local Education classes are held, a thriving Leisure Club exists with Keep-Fit, Indoor Bowling, Badminton and Dancing, an Art Group, Embroidery classes, many discos are held, Warton Drama group performs and a school of dancing is held each week.

From its sorry state of 18 years ago, Warton Village Hall’s refurbishment has added a new dimension to village life and is a tribute to those people who dedicated their time and effort to its cause.

Published in Mourholme Magazines Issue 13 1990